Monday, April 28, 2008

Entering the 21st century

That's what I feel like since I now have signed on for a DSL hook up at home. I have received free dial up from the U of MN. forever, well at least since 1994 (give or take a year or two-the memory does fade a bit over time). Then in Dec. 2007 the U decided to end dial up service for anyone not living on campus. I was traumatized. I couldn't make the jump to paying for Hi-speed hook up. So $11.00 for dial-up was my baby step. Then to DSL. But what trouble it has been. Not with the MacBook which, of course, comes equipped with a wireless modem; but with my Dell at home. It is too old to be ready for that, only 4 years, so first I bought the 50' cable because my computer is not by the phone jack. I decided, no way did I want that cord laying across the floor. Then it was way too much trouble putting in the wireless software. It didn't work and when I called the manufacturer tech help told me the version I bought was too old and I needed to download a newer version from their website on the web. Crazy I thought, since I wasn't hooked up. So I will move my computer desk closer to the phone jack and buy a DSL cord or drill a hole in the wall. My other choice was to have another phone jack put in by having them staple wires to the siding on the house.
Well I am glad to have the hi-speed at home since I like to look through United Streaming for videos I can use and also for websites that deal with Spanish grammar. So it will be helpful next year especially.

No comments: